My fancy haircut is about a month old, and I am still rockin' it. That's what happens when someone who knows what they are doing uses their expertise to give you a haircut that works for you. It's growing out great and looks awesome nearly every day. I love it!
And............ moment of vanity over!
We met with our Capstone client today to get feedback on the latest draft of our final deliverable. We have a lot of work to do and a very short time in which to do it! Lots of content adjustments and lots of visuals. We were expecting the visuals, even knew about most of them and have been intentionally holding them to last, but the content changes were a bit of a blindside. Our client was incredibly fair, acknowledging this was the fourth draft they have had to review and provide comment on, yet it is the first time they have mentioned content. They told us they would take care of anything we are not informed enough to write or not comfortable enough writing. Overall, they are still very impressed with our work and the deliverable, and I have a feeling their comments to our teacher are going to be very good.
One grammatical question: When do you use "into"and when is it "in to"? Our client wondered at our usage on occasion, making us wonder as well. I do not have a ready example at the moment (the final product is up to 80 pages and it can be a bit difficult to find such a small usage), but apparently it is something our client wants us to review.
Ok, another grammatical question: For a phrase such as, "It is important you identify all desired outcomes prior to beginning your data collection" should the word 'that' be included in the sentence after 'important' and before 'you'? My personal style is to never include 'that' but maybe by doing so I am always grammatically wrong.
I am not the grammarian that others in my family are, but I know that on most occasions I am still more advanced than my peers. My biggest downfall is punctuation. And remembering the proper terminology for certain words, such as conjunctions. I implicitly know why words are used the way they are, but ask me to explain it and I am a bumbling idiot.
I launched my first-ever online survey today. I designed the survey myself - the questions, the placement, the logic applications, etc. - and came up with the list of whom to send it to. The survey is for work. We are attempting to collect from the many student affairs and academic affairs offices on campus information about their philosophy of student leadership development, as well as the leadership development activities/programs they offer to their students. The information comes too late for me, but I can turn over the survey results to the next graduate assistant, who will hopefully be able to use them to design a more comprehensive and relevant menu of services.
Tomorrow I go back to gym class. Blech. I skipped on Monday to attend a lecture on word-of-mouth marketing, given by one of the premier voices in the field. My department, in collaboration with several other agencies, sponsored the lecture and I was able to attend for free. I decided it was more beneficial for me to attend the lecture than to be yelled at by a psycho and run around a track until I couldn't breathe. I've got my priorities straight.
I have come to realize that I have trouble letting go of the day; that I stay up way too late every night because I can't seem to make myself shut down the computer, close the books and the notes, and just go to bed. I'm going to try to get to bed at least an hour earlier tonight than I did last night, which means...
Love!
~g
3 comments:
Grammar Q #1: Action or movement traditionally requires "into". Ex: I fell into the hole.
"In to" is two separate particles (in and to being adverbs). Ex: I sat in to learn the details of my assignment. Or: I came in to warm my feet.
Grammar Q #2: if you plan to include the words "you" and "your", you would include "that" or "for. (i.e. It is important that(for) you to identify ...). However, a clearer statement would be: It is important to identify all desired outcomes prior to beginning data collection. By removing "you" and "your" you remove any need for a qualifiers like "that".
In general, when writing manuals, procedural manuals, guides, etc, keeping the text neutral (void of you, we, they, etc.) keeps the text tight and clean.
Bet you didn't know I have certificates in Writing Manuals and Handbooks?! I may not be as eloquent, clever or entertaining a writer as you or your father, but technical writing I know!
oh yeah ... almost forgot ... when do we get to see a picture of your great haircut? :-)
Go Aunt Karen! I am so contacting you with my next grammatical question! It may be a while though, considering most of my conversations during the day are at a 3 yr old level...
Post a Comment