Monday, April 20, 2009

Encounter of the Ridiculous Kind

So, I went home this past weekend. I had a dentist appointment to take care of before my insurance runs out after I graduate. Plus, it was Mom's birthday. I took Amtrak from Chicago to Mount Pleasant, where Mom picked me up and drove me the 2+ish hours home.

I have taken Amtrak a lot in the last two years. At this point I am willing to call myself an expert in train travel. One thing I have become good at is avoiding and/or cutting short conversations started with me by fellow passengers; the train is my time to do homework, read, sleep, whatever. I think I met my match on this last trip, however.

Thursday I was one of the first general passengers on my car. I quickly found and claimed two seats out of the way of the doors and the stairs. I was getting settled in when someone took the two seats across the aisle from me. Normally this is not a problem, but this guy started talking to me immediately. We were still 10 minutes from leaving Union Station and he was going nonstop like we had been friends and train buddies for ages.

I was doing all I could to discourage him, short of saying, "SHUT UP!" I mentioned I was a student finishing my degree and that I had a lot of work to do. This prompted him to tell me he is also a student (Technical school, welder). I told him I needed to get settled in and begin my work. This prompted a conversation on how good the train is for getting things accomplished. I mentioned I preferred to just sit quietly by myself and not talk to others so I can focus. This led to a conversation about how he has a phobia of other people and can't stand to sit with anyone (but he doesn't have a problem talking to people - apparently it's a proximity thing).

All the while I was pulling out and plugging in my laptop, getting out my MP3 player, etc. I finally said, "I'm going to work now" and put on my headphones and began the tedious task of ignoring him.

He eventually did stop talking when I stopped responding, but he didn't stop staring. I remained steadfastly focused on my computer (I actually got a lot accomplished) but was cognizant of the fact he was staring at me quite a bit. Every time his head turned toward me I also turned my head so I could look out the window and give him nothing to look at but my hair.

Note: Resolutely ignoring someone is exhausting.

I worked on my school assignments solidly until I heard the 10 minute warning for my stop. I packed up my computer (headphones still in!), then got out my phone to call my Capstone teammate to tell him what I had got done. Then I called Mom to let her know where we were at.

Check the clock. About 5 minutes. Damn.

And then it got interesting.

There I sat, staring out the window, when odd guy stands up in the aisle between our seats, puts his arms on the overhead luggage rack, leans into my seat and says, "I have to say, you have one of the most unique profiles I have ever seen."

What follows is the short conversation that came after that comment, with my thoughts in italics.

Me: (What the hell?!) Umm... it's the nose. A family trait.

Him: That, and the bottom lip. It sticks out a bit and gives you an interesting appearance.

Me: (Yayy!! So you are telling me I look like I'm pouting all of the time. Awesome!) Ok....

Him: It's not a bad thing! In fact, your face kind of reminds me of my fourth grade teacher.

Me: (I don't want to know. Didn't you mention you are all of 19 years old? How old do I look?!) I guess I'll take that as a compliment. I guess.... (Rolling eyes. Hard)

Him: Oh you should. I really liked my fourth grade teacher.

Me: (Please, God, let it be time for me to go downstairs for my stop. Please, please, please.) Oh, look at that. Time for me to go!

Him: Already?

Me: (Of course already! Way overdue, in fact!) GOODBYE!

So strange.

On the trip back today I also had a guy who was ridiculous. I was sitting behind him, and after my computer died (I was in a car with no outlets) I spent the majority of the trip slouched down in the seat, dozing. Every once in awhile the guy in front of me would turn around to look at me. After I rearranged and ended up in a position with my arms crossed, the guy in front of me turned around again and said, "Oh, it's not that bad." I stared at him, but didn't respond. He said, "Traveling by Amtrak is so much fun and way better than flying." I just continued to stare. He said, "The trip is almost over. Enjoy yourself some!" I held my stare, while simultaneously raising the hand holding my MP3 player so he could see me turning up the volume. He turned back around and left me alone.

The people you encounter on trains...

Love!

~g

No comments: