The really cold weather has finally hit, with strong winds and grey (gray?) blahness up above. We are all bundled up in sweaters and blankets as we do not want to turn on the heat and pay for the gas. Technically, we do have the heat on, but it is set to kick in only when the temperature inside drops below 55 degrees. This ensures we don't freeze in the middle of the night but do not run the heat unnecessarily during the day. We may have to bump the temp up a few degrees, though, as my nose, fingers, and toes are pretty cold.
I am currently cuddled on the couch with a blanket and two kitties. I just finished off a mug of tea and two peanut butter cookies. I was working on a paper earlier when I decided I needed something warm to drink. Went to the kitchen to make some tea and decided I needed baked goods. I had a tube of Pillsbury cookies in the fridge, and wham-bam, twenty minutes later I have cookies! I still prefer cookies from scratch, but Pillsbury does in decent job and works well in a pinch.
Last night Angela and I went to the salon to get our hair cut. Angela also got her hair colored a very nice red/brown while my stylist tried to talk me into "golden hues that will really brighten and highlight your skin." I said no thanks. She persisted. I said no thanks again. She tried the "we can go with non-permanent that will just let you try it out with no commitment." I told her I like my hair color the way it is and already have natural highlights that work with my skin tone. The stylist next to us who was working on Angela chimed in and agreed he really likes my hair the way it is. End of discussion!
Post-salon Angela desperately wanted some sushi, so off to Sushi Loop, despite my rather strong disdain for all things fish. I knew I could get some good fried rice so I wasn't overly opposed to the supper choice. Once there, I decided to girl-up and at least try something. Angela suggested the Loopy, a tuna and jalapeno concoction that is great for first-timers as the tuna is cooked. I ate 4 of the 8 pieces before deciding I had had enough. Definitely not something I will crave in the future, but at least I tried!
The Halloween decorations are down, although the general fall items remain. I have warned Angela my tree will most likely go up within the next two weeks. It's a new tree with new ornaments and I am a child that likes to play with her new toys. Plus I just really love the Christmas season and want time to enjoy my tree before breaking it down and taking it back to Iowa when I go home for Christmas break.
I have settled into writing end-of-semester reports and various other items at work. Nothing too intensive, but writing day in and day out is a bit wearing. Hopefully I can take off some time after Thanksgiving as I am currently owed roughly 2 1/2 weeks of time off. I won't recoup all of it, but it would be nice to have some of it.
I continue to make it to the gym several times a week, although not nearly as much as I had originally planned. I am quite bored with the gym and need to figure out a way to shake up my routine. There are a few cardio machines I have not tried yet. I did recently get up the courage to look like a fool as I tried the rowing machine. I found I liked it, even though it really wears you out!
Life has become pretty quiet for me. I am slowly getting over this sinus stuff. Sarah, I did get some nasal spray that helped the pressure on the front of my face but did not do a lot for the rest of the symptoms. Mom made a call to my doctor and found I still had a valid prescription for antibiotics. The nurse faxed in an extension on the fill-by date so I could pick them up here in Chicago. We most definitely do not want a repeat of last year so I am now on antibiotics and will hopefully be feeling a lot better soon.
My pumpkin finally met its demise in the dumpster. I noticed the day after Halloween it was getting quite gross, and when I came home that night someone had thrown it away. I am assuming it was our landlady, as the landscaping in the courtyard had also been cut back and winterized. So ends the perfect pumpkin of 2008.
Not much else to report. Life goes, and I go along.
Love!
~g
No comments:
Post a Comment