Our power went out today. For no apparent reason. What does one do when the power goes out in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday? Carve pumpkins, of course! It was a bit chilly outside, but I have the perfect pumpkin this year and I was not going to let a little Arctic wind keep me from carving that bad boy.
The entire time I was outside, Chuck was yelling at me from the various balconies that surround our courtyard. He started on the highest possible balcony, but as the smell of pumpkin reached him he began to work his way down toward me, finishing about 3 feet away and studiously watching me work. I kept throwing him pieces of the pumpkin as I cut them away and figured that would be good enough for him. Wrong! Not 15 minutes after I finished carving and went inside, Chuck gnawed off one of the teeth from the Jock-O-Lantern's mouth and ate it! I caught him in the act and yelled at him good as he scampered away. Honestly, it's more funny than anything, I just wish he would have waited until I was able to take a picture!
I decided there was no point in trying to protect the pumpkin. Inside the apartment it would just rot quickly, and outside it's at Chuck's mercy. I guess I already did pretty much everything one does with a pumpkin at Halloween, so Chuck can have access to it and get some fresh veggies in his system. I'm thinking being a city squirrel and all Chuck does not get too many fresh veggies and I kind of feel sorry for the guy.

I did save all of the seeds and plan on roasting them later this week. They have been washed and laid out on paper bags to dry (inside the apartment away from hungry squirrels!). I have Wednesday night off and figure the seeds will be dry enough by then to roast. I think I will put the Chex Mix spices on them this year.
Last Sunday we had the first ever CUPPA Cup kickball game -an intracollege game between Public Administration and Urban Planning and Policy. PA won the cup in an uncontested game as only 3 UPP students showed. We split into teams and played anyway because kickball is too much fun to pass up, but the CUPPA Cup stays in the PA department.
The Cup is a real thing. Lauren and I made it from a plastic wine glass, spray paint, fake jewels, and hot glue. It is glorious!
School has been pretty laid back for the last few weeks but is picking back up this week and will be demanding through Thanksgiving. The downtime was nice but I know I have to get back in it.
And the heat just came on for the first time this season! We have been studiously avoiding turning on the heat with gas prices as high as they are, but it is COLD tonight! Feels-like low projected to be around 25 degrees F. We will be able to turn the heat off by Tuesday morning as the temperatures are projected to be near 70 by the end of the week, but for now we need it so we don't shiver all night!
The neighbors had a get-together at their place last night. Angela could not go as she was up in the Canookia with her boy, and Ryan was still hung over from Friday night and not up to socializing. I took a plate of cookies and had fun! We grilled, we ate, we talked, we laughed, we wrapped up the night by 10:00 pm. What a bunch of adults!
Life continues. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas, mainly because I miss my family and look forward to seeing and spending time with them. I have resisted the urge to decorate my Christmas tree but it is getting more and more tough to leave it in storage. Soon!
Of the three, which is better: 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, or Snickers?
Love!
~g
1 comment:
Snickers...clearly, the healthier option due to the peanuts. :o)
and it just tastes so damn good.
i'm excited for christmas break and have to agree, i am anxiously awaiting buying a christmas tree! i want one now!!!
Post a Comment