Just down the escalator from Christopher & Banks and on the other side of the carousel in Crossroads mall sits Walden Bookstore. Walden's has been located in one of the most prime locations in the mall for as long as I can remember. I have spent many hours in Walden's over the years, first as a child eager for the newest Thoroughbred book, then as an adolescent, seeking new and different fiction (Say Goodnight, Gracie). Lastly as an adult, wandering the stacks and occasionally hitting on a new treasure (Out of Harm's Way).
In a few weeks Walden's will cease to exist. In the era of mega stores and Kindle, a small bookstore in the mall does not stand a chance. The College Square mall is also losing its bookstore, B Dalton. By the end of this month the only place in the Cedar Valley to peruse a wide variety of titles and authors will be Barnes & Noble. I find it a sad situation.
My lunch breaks of late have been spent in Walden's. My own book collection, as well as that of my family, has grown a bit as I have taken advantage of the deep discounts. It seems I cannot walk into Walden's these days without walking out with at least two or three books, lately purchased for a grand total of less than $10. I am proud to say my latest purchases for myself include three books I have never read, two of which are by authors I have never heard of. Additionally, a new Bible has been added to my collection, as well as a copy of the Koran. There are new stories and new discoveries in my future.
Another purchase at Walden's included a 5-year journal. I have been wanting, for several years, to acquire and begin keeping a perpetual journal, yet I always found the cost rather prohibitive. At 50% off, however, a very nice leather journal that is designed to last for 5 years suddenly seemed reasonable. I began keeping the journal on the first of January and have already found I enjoy reaching for it at the end of the night to record a few simple thoughts and descriptions of my day.
I am grateful that my parents, grandparents, teachers, and friends over the years have instilled and encouraged in me a love affair with books, bookstores, and the written word - be it someone else's writing or my own. I am sure my infatuation will last a lifetime. Perhaps this is why I truly feel mournful and compelled to write about the impending loss of Walden's. It is truly as if I am losing a very familiar friend.
My dear family and friends, I know most of you that have read this far know exactly why I feel the sadness I feel. I am sure at one time or another each of you has faced a similar loss - perhaps not of a bookstore, but of a place that helped shape your identity in some way. The emotion and bit of ourselves that we leave scattered in the places we visit and the things we own astounds me and yet seems perfectly natural as well. It's why I still have all of my Thoroughbred books and why I re-read and re-watch movies. It's why walking into Walden's feels like walking into home. I reconnect with who I used to be whenever I somehow reconnect with these places and these things that have a piece of me.
What is it that holds some of you? Which books? What places? I'd love to know.
~g
No comments:
Post a Comment