It has been RAINY here for the last week or so. This is so totally not the time of year we want lots of rain, but lots of rain we had. I am a fan of rainy days, but not 7 or 8 consecutive rainy days. Plus, the farmers really need it to be sunny and warm and even a bit windy so the crops will dry and be ready for harvest. Hence, yayy for 75 and sunny!
It was too good of a day to waste but I didn't have a clue as to how I wanted to take advantage. All I knew was we needed to get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine. Mom was feeling as I was, so we got in the car, put all the windows down, and started driving towards the Mississippi.
Eastern Iowa is really quite pretty, filled with hills and bluffs and overall gorgeousness. We ended up Marquette/Prairie du Chien area. We kicked around both towns for a bit but the destination was not really the purpose. Just being out in the day was the point of the drive.
In Prairie du Chien we did spend a good amount of time at a place called The Cannery. This place is, surprise, surprise, an old cannery! The building now houses a whole lot of home decor items on the definite country end of the scale. I love home stores and like to visualize and plan rooms (which, to date, I have not had come to fruition - such is the life of a renter) so places like The Cannery are a lot of fun for me.
The building was stuffed full of things and I don't think it would be possible to really see each and every item even if you spent the whole day wandering. Mom and I were able to spot things that appealed to us and both of us ended up buying an item. Hers is a present for someone, so I'm not telling what she got. I got a bowl. It looks like this. I am already regretting only getting one.
You see, I am a dork. A big dork. Some of my favorite things include dinnerware and glassware. I particularly like bowls. I like bowls that are big enough for a hearty salad or serving of soup, with plenty of room so there is no threat of sloppage or spillage. I have tested my new bowl (soup!) and fully approve of it's design. It's plenty big enough, yet the size of the bottom and the curves make it easy to hold if I feel like curling up in my Lay-Z-Boy while I eat. The bowl has some heft to it yet is still rather light given its size and material. This is not a flimsy bowl but rather something that is sturdy while being easy and enjoyable to use. It is a good bowl.
We headed home in time to make it before it got too dark and as such, we drove into a setting sun most of the way home. I had grabbed my camera right before leaving the house and ended up getting some decent shots of the sun. I also made Mom pull off onto the shoulder somewhere between Elkader and Strawberry Point so I could get some pictures of a building by the side of the road. The best of the best are below. I have got to say, my camera is amazing. All of the photos I took yesterday, minus the building photos, were taken as the car was doing 55-60 down the highway. The pictures still came out amazingly clear.
Overall it was a good day! Now bring on the fall!
Love!
~g
3 comments:
ah ... Iowa ... beautiful pics.
You found a bowl the right size and heft? Very cool. I'm green. I want one, too. Let me see it.
You can see my bowl by clicking on the link in my post where it says, "It looks like this". The word "this" is hyperlinked to the manufacturers website.
I definitely want more. I could order online, but I'm thinking another trip might be more fun! Plus, the bowl was cheaper in the store than it is online, and no shipping!
The pasta bowls on the website also look pretty nifty.
I think I may have a problem with bowl obsession. Are there 12 steps to get over it?
Post a Comment