Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Preventative Care

I have spent several days in the last few weeks in various medical offices, catching up on some over-due appointments while I still have insurance. I have been to the dermatologist, my family doctor, the optometrist, the hospital for blood draws, and soon I'll be back at the dermatologist. I know it's much better to have all of these appointments before there is a problem, but I am awfully tired of forms.

Overall I have been decreed rather healthy, if a bit overweight. The optometrist was by far the worst appointment, but that was mainly due to the fact that I have a real issue with anything near or on my eyes. I have been having a problem with bright lights lately; too bright of light and my eyes kind of bug out and I end up losing my peripheral vision and see nothing but flashes of light. Turns out this is something called a silent migraine. Basically, my eyes are reacting to bright light like they would react if I was actually having a migraine. All the symptoms, none of the pain. I guess I prefer it that way, but it's still annoying. Given this increased sensitivity to bright light, prescription polarizing sunglasses are in my near future, as are new reading glasses. I am hoping I can take advantage of a few deals at local glasses stores and get what I need for relatively little money. There are a few places offering 2-fers, which I am hoping include sunglasses. Regardless, the expense must be made so I can see well. The optometrist informed me that I may not pass my next visual exam without my glasses when I go to renew my license, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I have also been cautioned against extensive night driving. Yayy for hereditary night-blindness! I know Dad is night-blind, and I believe Justin is as well.

Oh well. On to other things. The vegetable garden is doing so-so. The cucumbers, radishes, and corn are excellent. The lettuces, spinach, and carrots seem to be struggling. I may have to replant these, but there shouldn't be a problem with that. It is still cool here and we have had more than enough rain. Karen, I will post a picture of the garden as soon as my camera battery charges and I have a chance to pull a few weeds. :)

This week I am spending cleaning and organizing some of the stuff I brought home from Chicago. We are also in Week 1 of our meal plan, so there will be some cooking of new and familiar recipes going on. Tonight is enchiladas, made with the shredded beef of a slow-cooked chuck roast. The roast is currently in the slow cooker, and everything else is already on hand and ready. Maybe. Crap. I just realized that we may not have sour cream. Oh well. We can pick that up with a quick run to Bender's. Today's lunch consisted of tuna salad in a pita with a side of carrots and fresh-brewed iced tea.

I have decided one of my project this summer is going to be transcribing all of the hand-written recipes Mom has. I will, of course, keep the hand-written treasures, but I would also like to ensure the recipes do not get lost. By the time I am done I will most likely have a book of family recipes, as many of the cards attribute the recipe to Renee, Grandma Kole, and Grandma Mabon. Renee has already promised me more recipes, which I suggested she send to Karen to be put on the Exchange page. Karen, when I get done transcribing everything I will send you the document. Maybe you can PDF it and post it so everyone has access. Dad, I will probably be using your recipe template for this project, although for many of them I may not have back stories. We'll see. Cary, I tried your Sunday Night Breadsticks a few weeks ago. I added Italian seasoning to the dough and brushed the sticks with butter and sprinkled Parmesan on top before baking. We had them with spaghetti. They were good, but a bit dense. I know I probably had a bit too much flour in them, but I also think I did not roll the stick out enough. The next time you make them, could you please take a picture of what the breadsticks look like pre- and post-baking? I'd appreciate it!

Another project means picking up my crochet needles once again to complete Dad's long-overdue afghan. I crocheted an afghan for Jody for Christmas a few years ago, and Dad so liked it that he requested one of his own. We went shopping and he picked out his yarn. I had his afghan nearly finished when I decided it looked terrible, so I ripped the whole thing out and will be starting from scratch. I have a new pattern in mind for the three different yarns I am using, and when I am finished it will look nothing like Jody's afghan. Dad, you're going to have to trust me on this one.

As far as my job search goes, it really doesn't right now. I receive daily emails with job announcements for federal jobs, as well as positions within higher education. I look at them carefully but as of yet have not been moved to do more. Admittedly, I am a bit overwhelmed by the whole idea of searching for a full-time position and what that will mean for my life. I still feel very much like a student on a summer break. I will try to get my act together in the coming weeks but I also do not want to make the mistake of rushing this process and pushing myself into a place or position that does not feel right. I have always been very good at realizing what I should do or what the "smart" choice is, but more often than not this has put me in positions where I am not really that happy. I want to try to break that cycle and think instead for once about what I really want. This time around, I am not going to let others guilt or pressure me into something, nor will I be making decisions about my life based on making others happy. I guess this means I am growing up.

On that note, it's time for me to get busy with something. Heh. I am still adjusting to not having to rush from place to place and task to task. I should be loving the freedom, but honest to goodness I don't know what to do with myself!

Love!

~g

No comments: