Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Planting in the rain/ Just planting in the rain!

Well, the vegetable garden, such as it is, is officially done and now only needs watering and weeding until harvest time. Carrie helped me put up the chicken wire fence and plant the starts on Saturday. I had been planning on getting it all done on Saturday, but when Carrie announced it was raining I figured my plans were shot. That is, until Carrie said, "If you want to get it done today, I'll help." So we donned our t-shirts and shorts and gloves and headed out into the rain. We were out there for a good 1.5 hours, getting rained on the entire time. Our sneakers kept getting caked with mud, especially around the heels. Every once in a while we would have to stop working to scrape a good 3 or 4 inches of mud off of our shoes. I must say, though, they were the most comfortable high heels I've ever worn! By the time we finished and came inside we were soaked through and dripping, but everything was done and we didn't have to water immediately. Bonus! It was actually a lot of fun and makes a great story about my first vegetable garden. I shouldn't say 'my' vegetable garden. Justin and Carrie were a big help that I am incredibly grateful for.

Sunday was Gregory's (my cousin) graduation from Denver High. Mom volunteered my services to my aunt for the day, so bright and early we headed out to Shere's house to help with the final party preparations. My job was to drive to Waterloo and Waverly to pick up various food and decoration orders. Once those were dropped off at the house, I became florist and lemonade-mixer extraordinaire. Mom was meanwhile finishing up some landscaping outside. Once our jobs were done we headed home to change and get up to the school for the ceremony. Except for a new score board and a few more banners, nothing in that gym has changed from when I sat there 6 years ago getting my high school degree. The ceremony did not take too long, and then it was back out to the farm. Last minute set up and rushing around, and then it was time to party! Shere handed me her digital camera and told me my job was to take as many pictures of the party, the guests, and Gregory with his guests as possible, so I spent the next 4 hours roaming with the camera and taking A LOT of pictures. I don't know how many total, but there has to be somewhere between 200 and 300 photos of that party. During lulls in my photo duties, I chatted with family and old school teachers and helped out Grandma in the kitchen. By 8 pm the party was over and most everything cleaned up, so Mom and I headed home to crash. It was a long day!

Memorial Day was fairly quiet around here. Just some grilling later in the day. Justin is quite the grill master, and my teriyaki chicken and burger came out great. A few movies with friends last night, and bam, the holiday weekend is over.

That's about it. My life is pretty quite and slow right now. That being said, I do have some laundry to be getting to.

Love!

~g

No comments: