Sunday, May 10, 2009

Conquered

I suppose I am long over-due for another post. I was just telling Dallas and Renee the other day that I like the blog because it forces me to feel guilty and therefore update my family and friends on my latest goings-on. Really, when it comes down to it, a blog is kind of a vain thing. "Look at what I've been up to! Read all about me!" but for those who actually care about what I am up to, it is a great way for me to keep them updated.

Lets see... anything of note happen in my life lately? Well, in very quick succession, spanning only one week in time, I:
1. Took my last final ever
2. Earned a Master's degree
3. Finished a job
4. Packed up my apartment
5. Became an aunt
6. Walked the stage at Commencement
7. Walked downtown Chicago in its entirety in one afternoon
8. Moved out of my apartment
9. Rearranged my room in Denver
10. Slept for 13 hours

There have been a lot of emotions running through me this past week. At this point, I am a bit numb, mostly feeling very tired and very out-of-place. My Denver home, while still feeling of home, is also different and unfamiliar. I do not fit in the life of the people at home, but have no life of my own right now. I am in limbo, and I am terrified and overwhelmed. Slowly I will start to create a place here, but in the meantime I am spending a good part of my days making my room my own space and nuzzling Tucker whenever he needs it (like right now, as he has climbed into my lap and I am typing without being able to see the keyboard or the screen).

Graduation was a blast. I enjoyed seeing family and friends and spending time talking with everyone. Pictures to come as I get around to getting them off my camera. Thanks to everyone who made the trip! Dallas and Renee especially, what a welcome surprise addition! It was wonderful to see you and have a chance to talk a bit! And thank you again for lunch at Jak's!

The afternoon and evening of graduation Justin, Carrie, Mom, and I spent all day in downtown Chicago. We must have walked somewhere between 5 and 7 miles of downtown, seeing all of the sights. It was interesting for me to watch Justin and Carrie discover the city. I didn't realize how familiar and comfortable I had become with everything until I saw their reactions to Chicago. As we walked the observatory in the Sears Tower and I was pointing out landmarks and telling stories, Mom stopped me and said, "Look at all you conquered." She was right, and it became so obvious as I stood nearly 1/2 mile in the air and looked down on it all. It was a good way to say goodbye to the city.

And now, switching gears! I made the decision awhile back to take all of this free time to try to get healthier and get back into eating regular, home-cooked meals. Part of this decision includes trying to get over my aversion to vegetables. In an effort to do this, while being conscious of cost and local produce, I used some of my graduation gift money today to purchase seeds and a starter plot. Tonight I started lettuce (Romaine and a variety pack), radishes, cucumbers, spinach, carrots, sweet corn, and broccoli in small disks of peat and soil. I will keep the starts inside in a greenhouse-type deal until I have a small plot ready in the backyard and can transplant everything. I have never tried growing vegetables, but with a little advice from Carrie (who grew up with a vegetable plot in her backyard) I am certain I can handle this. Maybe by mid-summer we can be eating our own vegetables!

Grandma Mabon gave me a new cookbook for graduation, and as soon as I post this I am going to start going through it to pick out the recipes I want to try first. I think there is a general consensus between Grandma and Mom that, so long as I am in Denver and unemployed, I will be taking on a lot of the household duties. I expected this and don't mind it at all. After all, I'm living here rent free and need to earn my keep some way!

I am, of course, still job-hunting, although these first few weeks home the search will probably not be very intense. I am still looking nationally and have even considered expanding the search to Canada. I want to end up some place that will be beneficial to me both professionally and socially. In my downtime before I really ramp up the search again I will be spending some time considering what it is I truly want and am looking for in this first "real" job. Maybe, if I do everything right, I will end up with the job that is what I need it to be.

That's about it. Considering how much has happened, it seems a bit odd to say there is not much more news, but I am drawing a blank on what else to write. I suppose if something comes to mind I can always make another post.

Time to read a cookbook! Love!

~g

No comments: