I have a second blog that I started well over a year ago. I use it like an electronic journal/diary. It is 100% private and only for me. I was looking through it and found a post dated a year ago tomorrow, February 26, that I decided was fun. I have copied it below to share with the rest of the world!
"The Trees Threw Snowballs at Me!
The trees threw snowballs at me today! And the very mean trees threw ice chunks! I had these thoughts this morning as I was walking to work and the remnants of last night's storm kept falling on my head.
I began to imagine the trees as alive and mischievous; stagnant objects seeking fun in whatever way possible. Think about it. The tree is pretty and adored during the spring, summer, and fall months. We marvel at the return of life after the long winter, we bask in the shade of the full canopy during the blistering summer months, and we feel nostalgic and collegiate with the shades of orange and red during the fall. But what do we admire during the winter? During the most frigid months the tree is a bare, skeletal trace of its normal self.
Trees must feel the lack of adoration they receive during the winter months, and I'm sure they resent it. We fickle humans seem to only care for something or show it notice if we find it socially pretty. The poor tree is painfully aware of this, resulting in feelings of anger and a desire for vindication.
Hence the snow and ice throwing. In the winter months the tree has few options in its arsenal. It can either break off its own branches, tossing them on cars and in roadways. Or it can collect copious amounts of snow and ice, storing these effective weapons high above us puny humans and waiting for the perfect moment to unload on unsuspecting heads below.
I understand this and therefore was not angry this morning when time and time again snow and ice fell down upon me from the many trees next to my favorite walkway. Instead, I laughed inside and cheered on the trees. I admired the strength, the cunning, and I promised to be back in the spring, summer, and fall to admire the trees' many other assets."
No comments:
Post a Comment