Seriously. Where does it go?
I had a first-round telephone interview today with Government X in some Western state that has a lot of earthquakes.
Government X called me 5 minutes late, which freaked me out a bit. Once they did call spent 5 more minutes telling me about the program and themselves. Then they asked me 4 standard questions they are asking everyone:
1) Tell us about your personal, professional, and academic background and how they compliment each other and your ultimate goals.
2) Why are you interested in Government X?
3) This is one to test your analytical skills - Tell us about an academic or work project in which you have had to employ analytical skills, the process you used to complete the project, the general goals of the project, and the eventual outcome.
4) If we were to call your references today what would they say your strengths and weaknesses are?
Then about 5 minutes for me to ask questions and then the general end-of-conversation pleasantries. Quick and to the point.
I did alright - thank goodness I did a lot of research on Government X and am currently in Capstone so I could use my capstone project for the analytical skills question.
I'm not too impressed with them. They can't tell me what the rotation schedule and special assignments will look like until a few weeks before I would get there, if even then (i.e., there is a real possibility that one could accept the job without knowing what the heck the job actually is). When I asked the current fellows how this experience has helped them grow as a professional they hemmed and hawed and gave some nonsensical answers (to the point that the HR coordinator jumped in with, "Is any of this actually answering your question?"). No help with relocation costs either.
I will know by the end of this week if I made it through the first round. If I do, there will be a written public policy assignment. If that is satisfactory, final interviews the end of March. Offers the beginning of April.
There you have it. The story of my first interview of my current job search.
Sorry to those of you in my immediate family that already heard this story.
Love!
~g
No comments:
Post a Comment