Sunday, March 28, 2010

Niece Norah

I/We had the wonderful opportunity to spend days on end with Norah this past week. While we video chat with Marshall, Sarah, and Norah often, it's hard to really get to know her and her personality and preferences over a video feed. While I would never wish the circumstances on anyone that led to Norah spending several days in our home, I was grateful for the time we had with her.

I learned the following:
  • Norah is incredibly curious about her world and seeks to understand new or different things. A common word in our house for the past week was, "Point!" because that is what she would do. We would pick her up and get her settled and she would look around, then point to something. We would walk her over to whatever she was pointing at, let her examine it, and then repeat the procedure with the next point.
  • Music makes Norah boogy, especially her butt. She went the most hardcore to Genesis' "Invisible Touch."
  • Norah self-soothes very well. She likes to interact with those around her but she is equally comfortable sitting alone and talking to herself.
  • Books are one of Norah's favorite toys. She knows the front from the back, as well right side up, and she is very precise in turning the pages. She knows where her favorite pages are in each of her books and can turn right to them.
  • Norah definitely has a preference for her right side.
I discovered so many other things about my beautiful niece, but those are the highlights. Now on to what people really want... Pictures!

The camera was close enough to her that she was intrigued and pointing. I think her finger was actually on the lense when I hit the shutter release.


I teach my niece wonderful manners. Her fingers tasted like the maple cinnamon snack she had just finished.

Most of my pictures with Norah I took myself. Overall this one was the best.


The giant mirror in our front room was cause for a lot of smiles and laughs. Yes, she is laughing in this picture. And being super excited and waving to herself.


Play time with Great-Grandma Mabon!


So pretty! And such a sweet personality.


Norah was quite intrigued by my cat, Tucker. I must say, he was less than impressed with her, but that may have had something to do with the noises she made and the fact that my normal amount of petting and cuddling was reduced during the week. Whenever he came near Norah, though, she would get very intent on him and try to touch him. As for Tucker, he's never been around a small child so he spent most of the week alternately being curious and hiding.


Climbing up my lap our first day together.

She is impossible not to love. Saying goodbye to her was hard, but I know her parents were thrilled to have her back, and I am betting the feeling was mutual on her part. I'm looking forward to her visit in July and getting to know her all over again!

Love!

~g

No comments: