Sunday, March 22, 2009

Break

Correct me if I am wrong, but Spring Break is meant to provide a chance for relaxation and a short escape from the normal concerns. Mine is most definitely not working out that way.

First, YAYY for time away from Chicago and being able to move at my own pace and do things in whatever order I want.

Second, BOO to all of the obligations I have over break!

I got home late Friday night, after a train delay and getting a bit lost on the way home (came into a station I have never been to before. There was a bit of adjustment to the new route home). Saturday ran a ton of errands, most notably upgrading my cellphone. It has already been two years since my first phone broke and I had to replace it. Time flies!

Deviating from my normal "I want the easiest technology available with the fewest add-ons" mentality, I got the latest and "best" touch screen phone with full QWERTY keyboard and a whole bunch of options. I feel a bit bad splurging so much in this crappy economy, but rationalize I will have the phone for 2 years or more while also acknowledging I will be able to keep up as the technology changes in the coming years. I played with the thing nonstop yesterday, customizing it and getting familiar with all of the functions. There are a few things I do not care for, but overall am very happy with my decision.

Today was spent reorganizing my personal items here at home. I repacked a lot of things, keeping in mind what will travel to a new apartment and what will stay here. I'm not quite finished with that job, but I have time. Justin spent the evening wiping my laptop clean, reinstalling the operating system, Office suite, and other programs. I have had a lot of trouble with my computer in the last few months (trouble that started summer of 2006 and has been slowly building) so we decided to back it up and start over. Everything seems to be in working order. Shockingly good order, actually. Justin and I are incredibly surprised at the comeback.

Sidenote. Dad, you know how the disc drive kaputed in summer 2006? It's working perfectly fine now. It had to be a driver issue, even though troubleshooting never caught it. Wish we had tried this approach earlier.

Tomorrow I head to a city a few hours from here to check it out and attend the mayor's annual State of the City address. I have a telephone interview for a position with the city government of this town on March 31 and want to do some reconissance. I have a friend in this city, so I'll stay over Monday night and head back on Tuesday. Really, I am not that excited to go, but I am smart enough to give myself any edge possible for the interview. The other candidates will be able to watch the address online, but I'll get to shake some hands and make some eye contact. So far as I know, I am the only candidate in close enough proximity to this city to do some groundwork. Woohoo for being responsible!

The rest of break will be spent filling out a few applications for jobs and working on my Capstone project. When I get back from break things are going to happen fast and I need to be ready.

I am now in straight R&D at my job, which is one good thing. All of my programs are officially wrapped. I need to provide some support to the Service Initiatives Grad's programs in April, but that's miniscule compared to actually planning and executing the events.

That's about it. The end of my school days are approaching at warp speed. I'm just trying to hold on until the ride is over.

Love!

~g

No comments: