Friday, September 23, 2011

Vacation!!!!! (Part 2/Recap)

I made friends with a crusty, eclectic, kind-hearted, old-but-not-that-old cowboy/horseman.

I learned how to patch a hole in a barbed-wire fence, attach fencing clips, drive a tractor, grade a road, drive a t-post at an angle, and work cattle with border collies.

I was hired for a new position with a nonprofit agency and started a weekly class (in which I am the only female) at church.

All of these things have happened in the past week.

It was quite the week.

I feel like there is plenty to say about everything listed above, but I am having trouble figuring out how to start.

Did you know there is a way to tell how respected and appreciated you are by a cowboy/horseman?  All you have to do is listen to how they address you.  For example, last Friday I started the morning as "ma'am", was "hon" by noon, and ended the day as "darlin'".

Chuck has a good friend named Gary.  Gary is ex-Army, ex-pro bull rider, current school administrator, and, just for kicks, an ordained Lutheran minister who specializes in cowboy weddings.  Seriously.  Even if I really tried I would never in a million years be able to create a character like Gary.  He is certainly unique.

Gary came over last week to give us a hand with some fence repairs before the branding.  He arrived just as we were getting ready to eat breakfast, so I offered him a plate.  He turned me down with a "no thank you, ma'am."  I asked if he was sure and assured him we had plenty.  "Yes, ma'am.  Thank you, ma'am."  He did take me up on my offer of coffee.  "Thank you kindly, ma'am."  I felt like I had stepped back in time to the 1800s, but I got a kick out of it and knew that he was being genuinely polite and respectful.  I don't understand women who get upset by being called ma'am.  So long as the term is not said in a mocking or patronizing manner who cares?

Anyway, after we finished our breakfast, Chuck, Gary, and I headed out to the first (and biggest) hole in the South fence line.  I had spotted the hole the day before while rounding up about 20 head of cattle that were on the wrong side of the pasture fence.  Because I knew exactly where it was we headed there right away.  Chuck and Gary talked about the best way to patch the hole and then Gary and I did the actual patching since Chuck is still recovering from back surgery and this particular hole was down in an arroyo.  Both Chuck and Gary taught me the particulars of fencing and it wasn't long before we were done with the patch and heading off to the next trouble spot.

The next set of fixes required moving strands of barbed-wire and replacing fence clips.  Chuck showed me how he likes his fences and clips to look and then I went to work on my own section.  Gary passed by me a few times and occasionally put a tool in my back pocket or commented on how well I was putting on the clips.  It was during one of these moments that I realized I had been upgraded to "hon".

Gary and Chuck drove about 10-15 new posts and Dad and I followed up with straightening out the wire and attaching the clips.  Most of the posts were driven with the bucket of the tractor, but the last post of the day was set at an angle.  The tractor was no use so we had to drive the post in my hand.  Gary held the post for me and got it angled correctly and I used the post driver to pound it in.

(Side note, if you've never driven a t-post by hand you have no idea what serious exertion it requires.  Do that all day and you'll never have the need to set foot in a gym.)

I drove that post all by myself and we finished with stringing the wire.  Once that was complete we were done for the day.  As we wrapped everything up Gary informed me I was a "good hand" and, as he was climbing in his truck, called out, "See you tomorrow, darlin'!"  I'd moved up again!

Gary and I ended up working together during the branding, mugging calves and making sure gates were in the right positions at the right times.  One of my favorite moments of the whole day happened after we had run a few more calves through to last holding corral before they would be put on the calf table.  Gary and I were walking back to the gate we were leaning on as we watched the branding when Gary threw his arm around me, hauled me in for a huge one-arm bear hug, and sung out, "How you doing, darlin'?"  Even as that whole thing was happening I was seeing it in my head like a scene out of a movie.  I knew I had made a buddy and I also knew that to be considered Gary's buddy is quite the honor and compliment.

It was wonderful to visit the ranch again.  Chuck has established himself in a small corner of the Garden of Eden.  The land, the animals, and even all of the chores, come together to create a special kind of paradise.  I look forward to many more visits in the coming years.

I am sure I will have a lot to report about my new job and the class I am taking at church, but those topics are for future posts.  For now,

Love!

~g


2 comments:

Karen VH said...

Are you sure civic government is where you should be?! I'm thinking a ranch might be a great alternative!! Loved your "story".

JMK said...

Current Hank Jr. stupidity aside;

"we say yes'm, we say ma'am,
if you don't like that we don't give a damn.
'Cuz a country boy will survive."