Black Friday. A day known in the United States for mass consumerism consisting of door-buster deals, fanatical shoppers, elusive products, and general greed and rudeness. A true American tradition that ranks right up there with baseball and Grandma's Apple Pie.
This year I had the rather unfortunate opportunity to experience Black Friday not as a shopper but as an employee of a retail store. As a member of the management team AND the newest employee, I was given the responsibility of opening the store at 6:00 AM CST, which meant arriving at 5:30 to get the registers ready and do some paperwork. There were several women outside the store, waiting for me to put up the gate. As six drew near they started moving in closer, one even going so far as to knock on the window of the store to get my attention.
I ignored them and waited until 6:00 sharp to open the gate. There was no reason they needed to be in the store early and I knew if I didn't get the paperwork done before I opened it wouldn't get completed until much later in the day. I finished everything exactly at six and moved to open the gate.
I had the gate at shoulder height when I stopped to get a better grip so I could push it upward with the needed force to have it open completely when the women waiting in front of the store started ducking under the gate and around me to get in the store. Seriously, a sweater is not worth the haste... and patience is a virtue people.
I rung my first sale only a few minutes after six. It was two women who, I discovered, had been out since 11 pm the previous evening. I was their last stop before they headed home to fall down and not move. I understand wanting to get a deal. I understand trying to be a savvy shopper and taking advantage of sales. I don't understand staying out all night, standing in the freezing cold, competing with other people, and overall being an idiot.
I was alone in the store from 6-8 am. When the schedule was done it was felt that, based on last year, one person would be enough. That ended up being a poor assumption. I was incredibly busy and had lines of disgruntled women upset with me. I wasn't moving fast enough. I was taking too long to fold the clothes. There should be more than one person working ("Are you even aware it is BLACK FRIDAY?!"). I didn't need any information about them to take their money. They have a plan and a schedule and I am messing it up.
All told, in the two hours I worked alone, I think only 2 or 3 people said a civil word to me. When my help came in at eight I was ready to take a break. I only succeeded in trying to stay away from the cash registers for a few hours until the next help arrived and I could take an actual break and get out of the store.
It was an experience I hope to never repeat.
I have a few rules I would like to share with the world regarding Black Friday:
1. It is not worth it.
2.If you choose it is worth it, be nice.
3. You will have to stand in lines.
4. Your schedule will change.
5. You will not get everything you want.
6. Be courteous to the retail employees - they are simply trying to do their job and follow what is typically corporate-determined protocol for processing a transaction.
7. Being mean to the employees will not suddenly make the employees want to help you.
8. Look for ways you can help make things go smoother. Take items off the hangers. Fold items with the price tag clearly visible.
9. Don't get caught up in where you are going and where you have been - focus on where you are.
10. Ask yourself if your mother and grandmother would approve of the way you are acting.
11. It is not worth it.
I highly doubt I will ever go out on Black Friday after this experience. The nicest thing I can do for anyone working in retail on that particular day is stay home.
Love!
~g
1 comment:
amen.
Post a Comment