Due to Justin's new dietary lifestyle choice, as well as simply not taking the time, we have not been as diligent with developing meal plans as we were during the months of June and July. Given this, sandwiches have become a regular fallback for both Carrie and I. But sammies get boring pretty quickly.
Boredom with my food has led me to present it to myself in different fashions. In the end, I'm still eating a sandwich, but they taste so good as melts! I'm mostly doing turkey and provolone melts (dipped in BBQ sauce.. so good!), but I did come up with a not-so-normal melt. Playing around with what we had on hand one day, I developed this for my lunch:
Pizza Melt
2 slices bread
1 slice provolone cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni
Butter
Garlic Salt
Italian Seasoning
Pizza or pasta sauce
1. Coat one side of each bread slice with butter
2. Sprinkle garlic salt on buttered sides
3. Stack slices of bread, buttered side together
4. On top of non-buttered side of the top slice of bread place mozzarella, pepperoni, Italian seasoning, and provolone (in that order)
5. Heat non-stick pan to medium/medium high heat
6. Lift top slice of bread, with sandwich fillings, and place in hot pan butter side down.
7. Place remaining slice of bread on top of sandwich, butter side out
8. Cook until bread is browned and cheese is melted
9. Flip sandwich. Cook until bread is browned and cheese is melted
10. Remove from pan and let cool slightly
Heat pizza/pasta sauce in small dish in microwave. Cut sandwich in half. Serve sandwich with sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
I'm sure there's probably already a melt out there like this, but this one is at least my own creation. I think the addition of the garlic salt and Italian seasoning spices everything up and makes the whole thing even more yummy!
Stacking the filling ingredients in the order I listed puts the cheeses against each slice of bread, which helps melt the cheese without having to leave the bread on the heat too long, which, of course, would burn it. Since all we had on hand was shredded mozzarella, putting it on the sandwich first will allow it to melt together before you have to flip the sandwich. Flipping the sandwich when the mozzarella is still loose can create a mess!
I also tried this as a quesadilla and enjoyed it, but I like it better as a melt.
I am cleaning and organizing and getting my room and life back in some semblance of order today. I have somewhat just making do with my room and limited storage space since I moved home, but I have been feeling a little like a short-term visitor (you know, that feeling you get in a hotel when you put your clothes in the dresser or armoire but you know it's temporary and not your own space?). I asked Mom for a dresser, and she kindly emptied one of hers for me to use. Now that I have a space to put my things and a way to really organize my clothes and other possessions I think I will feel much more comfortable and settled.
Once I finish my room I'll spend some time working on some cover letters. Oh, how I love searching for a job.
Yesterday I took my car down to the car wash and got it cleaned up all nice. I then took some pictures, which are posted below. The tree the car was parked under created some interesting shadows, but I think the pictures are still clear enough that you can get a good idea of what my car looks like. I still need name suggestions!
Also, Rochelle, State Farm is awesome! The underwriters found me ANOTHER (I think this makes 3 or 4) discount after I had written my check for the next 6 months of coverage. I'll be getting a refund in the mail about the same time I get my official cards. I'm super happy with any place that continues to look for discounts for their customers even after the customer has paid.
Love!
~g
No comments:
Post a Comment